Tuesday, April 12, 2022 Jesse Goldberg
Piano Lessons: One of the first music lessons teaches the note of the scale. How to remember the note? Do today's puzzle!
17-Across. * __ day: on alternating days: EVERY OTHER.
25-Across. * Aussie's "Well done!": GOOD ON YOU.
31-Across. * One with the motto "Be Prepared": BOY SCOUT.
42-Across. * Serves a prison sentence: DOES TIME.
47-Across. * Part of the contract where gotchas might be found: FINE PRINT.
59-Across. The first words of the answers to starred clues are a mnemonic for this musical symbol's staff lines: TREBLE CLEF. The mnemonic for the open spaces is FACE.
Back when I was taking piano lessons, the phrase was Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge. I guess the diet police have determined that eating too much fudge is not good. I thought of our resident musician when I caught the theme to today's puzzle. Hi, JazzB!
There is a lot of opportunity for some music today, which is appropriate for today's theme.
A big Thank You to Boomer who stood in for me for the past two weeks while I was dealing with my Dad's estate.
1. Chesapeake shellfish: CRAB.
10. Perfect tennis serves: ACES.
14. Can't stand: HATE.
15. Band whose debut album "Dreamboat Annie" was released in the U.S. on Valentine's Day in 1976: HEART.
19. Thought: IDEA.
20. Raised, as kids: REARED.
21. What a vocalist may drop for emphasis: MIC. Not Cool.
24. Pallid: WAN.
28. Historic period: ERA.
38. Brazenly obvious: BLATANT.
41. Determined to have: SET ON. I've got my heart Set On a new sofa.
43. Daily record, as on a ship: LOG BOOK.
53. Talk incessantly: YAK.
62. Back up, on a PC: UN DO. Not back up as in store, but back up as in OOPS!
63. Philadelphia NFLer: EAGLE.
3. Eroded: ATE AWAY AT.
5. Not barefoot: SHOD.
6. Drenched, e.g.: WET.
7. "That feels good": AAH!
8. Seismic event: TREMOR.
9. Long step: STRIDE.
11. Escalade, casually: CADDY. The Escalade is made by Cadillac.
13. Big blunder: SNAFU.
18. Hankering: YEN. Also the name of Japanese currency.
26. Uneaten morsel: ORT. This used to be a crossword staple.
27. A-bomb tryout: N-TEST.
29. Part in a play: ROLE.
30. "An ounce of action is worth a __ of theory": Emerson (probably): TON.
32. Pilfered: STOLE.
33. Suspended cover above a bed: CANOPY.
40. "A mouse!": EEK.
44. Fireplace inserts: GRATES.
45. Yoga-as-exercise namesake: BIKRAM. Also known as Hot Yoga.
47. Roman place of assembly: FORUM.
48. Foolish: INANE.
49. Brainiacs, maybe: NERDS. Where did this word come from?
50. Valuable deposit: ORE.
51. Muslim holy city: MECCA.
58. Dawn goddess: EOS.
60. Alter __: EGO.
61. Three-letter sandwich: BLT. As in a Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato sandwich.