Sunday November 6, 2022 Scott Hogan & Katie Hale
Theme: "Scale It Back" - Do, Re, Me, Fa, Sol, La, Ti are orderly removed from the theme entries
23. Chant that could start any minute in a yoga class?: IMPENDING (
31. Beaver structure that defies all laws of physics?: THE IMPOSSIBLE D
40. Result of a cracked Kindle?: BROKEN PRO
61. Lingering resentment between rival 16th century Italian painters?: RENAISSANCE
72. Obstacles in a Grand Theft Auto construction zone?: VIDEO GAME CON
96. Rate at which romaine salads come out of the kitchen?: CAESARS PA
103. Put up with my shenanigans?: STAND THE TEST OF
118. Creating study aids during a classroom lecture, and how seven long answers in this puzzle were created?: TAKING NOTES.
Our second Sunday puzzle from Scott Hogan. His last is a collaboration with Christina Iverson. Who else can say that they've collaborated with two assistant editors of the L.A. Times crosswords?
Like the theme. Reminds me of the Opening Notes I did for the Universal back in 2020.
1. Improvises with nonsense syllables while singing: SCATS.
6. Hosp. area: PRE-OP. Extensive prep, as I've learned from Boomer's second surgery.
11. "Frozen" snowman: OLAF.
15. Go the distance: LAST.
19. Old Turkish title: PASHA. Wikipedia says this rank "is similar to a British peerage or knighthood".
20. Body art medium: HENNA.
21. Roam: ROVE.
22. Glom __: take hold of: ONTO.
25. Bibliography abbr.: ET AL.
26. Playing a fifth qtr., say: IN OT.
27. Vegan pizza order, perhaps: NO CHEESE. My first pizza is Hawaiian pizza from Pizza Hut in Guangzhou.
28. Speak without thinking: BLURT.
29. Thick book: TOME.
30. Biblical twin: ESAU.
36. Soap chemical: LYE.
38. Singer Lena: HORNE.
39. African capital: CAIRO. Has anyone read "Midnight in Cairo" by Raphael Cormack?
45. Uses, as a coupon: REDEEMS.
47. Paddle kin: OAR.
48. Brownstone porch: STOOP.
49. Family man: PAPA.
52. Telly watchers: BRITS.
54. Sitcom fixture: TV CAMERA.
56. 11th Greek letter: LAMBDA. Also 118. 19th Greek letter: TAU.
59. Casual refusal: NAH.
60. Messy pile: HEAP.
66. Con: SCAM.
70. Gimlet garnishes: LIMES.
71. Like some Chardonnay: OAKY.
77. AnnaSophia of "Bridge to Terabithia": ROBB. Unfamiliar to me.
81. NAACP co-founder __ B. Wells: IDA.
82. E-signature alternative: WET INK. 91. Problem with 82-Across: SMEAR.
83. Celebrity mag since 1977: US WEEKLY.
87. Transform (into): MORPH.
89. Drops from above: RAIN.
92. Biodegrade: ROT.
93. Resort with moguls: SKI AREA. Bumpy moguls on the slope.
99. Impressionist Claude: MONET.
100. Beekeeping hazard: STING.
102. Irish actor Stephen: REA. Unforgettable performance in "The Crying Game".
108. Sleeveless garment: VEST.
112. Twee: CUTE.
113. Competitor: RIVAL.
114. Goes long?: RUNS LATE. Nice clue/fill.
116. Poker stake: ANTE.
117. Scored 100 on: ACED.
121. Look intently (at): PEER.
122. "How __ refuse?": CAN I.
123. Garlicky sauce: AIOLI.
124. Cornell, Penn, etc.: IVIES.
125. Flubs: ERRS.
126. Jewelry designer Peretti: ELSA.
127. Eurasian border mountains: URALS.
128. Black-and-white vegetarian: PANDA.
2. Patterns meant to blend in, briefly: CAMOS. This really stands out.
3. Org. providing creature comfort?: ASPCA.
4. One who has an impressive green thumb?: THE HULK. Another great clue.
5. With it: SANE.
6. Trey Anastasio's jam band: PHISH. Amazing fan base.
7. Actress Zellweger: RENEE.
8. Pt. of OED: ENG.
9. Singer Yoko: ONO.
10. Hulu's "__ & Tommy": PAM.
11. Vague warning: OR ELSE.
12. Seated yoga pose: LOTUS.
13. Greed: AVARICE.
14. Had regrets: FELT BAD.
15. One who lingers: LOITERER.
16. Latin phrase in some dates: ANNO DOMINI. The hospice sent chaplain John Curran to our house last week. John is an ex-priest. He left the church and got married. He could deliver a mass in Latin.
17. Leaf pore: STOMA.
18. __ pole: TOTEM.
24. Political thaw: DETENTE.
28. "__ appétit!": BON.
32. Breakfast chain: IHOP.
33. Calendar pgs.: MOS. Months.
34. Get set: PREP.
35. Recline: LIE BACK.
37. Polite contraction: YES M.
40. All of two: BOTH.
41. Talk wildly: RAVE.
42. Killer whale: ORCA.
43. __ favor: POR.
44. Crowd sound: ROAR.
45. Crashes (into): RAMS.
46. Constellation part: STAR.
50. Strange: ALIEN.
51. Behind the times: PASSE.
53. __/her pronouns: SHE.
55. Abbey area: APSE.
57. Bun cooked in a bamboo steamer: BAO. We can Baozi in China.
58. Genetic letters: DNA.
62. Justice Kagan: ELENA.
63. "The Pinkprint" rapper Minaj: NICKI.
64. Latin I verb: AMO.
65. Brontë governess: EYRE.
67. Buckaroo: COWHAND.
68. Mature: AGE. We received 81 cards from you guys for Boomer's birthday. Thank you! Amazing English muffins from Ray - O - Sunshine!
69. Pilates surface: MAT.
72. Pep: VIM.
73. Rite words: I DOS.
74. Hypothetical stuff in space: DARK MATTER. Another great fill.
75. Oscar winner Sorvino: MIRA. She speaks Chinese.
76. Totals: SUMS.
78. Sticky pod: OKRA.
79. Political coalition: BLOC.
80. Computer memory unit: BYTE.
84. __ salt: SEA.
85. Nate Dogg's "Regulate" collaborator: WARREN G. Another learning moment.
86. Scots Gaelic: ERSE.
88. Leads the way: PIONEERS.
90. CBS military drama: NCIS.
91. __ lily: Utah state flower: SEGO.
94. Go over again: RETRACE.
95. Virtuous: ETHICAL.
97. Social insect: ANT.
98. Meringue dessert named for a ballerina: PAVLOVA. Looks good on top. Anna.
100. Bowl game venues: STADIA. I just use stadiums.
101. __ Aviv: TEL.
103. Land's end?: SCAPE.
104. Pitching aid?: TUNER. Fun clue.
105. Levels (out): EVENS.
106. Flounce: FRILL.
107. Some tax-free bonds: MUNIS.
109. Stay home for supper: EAT IN.
110. Knight's mount: STEED.
111. Thompson of "Creed": TESSA.
115. Scissors sound: SNIP.
119. Beach ball inflater: AIR.
120. RV park chain: KOA.