Saturday, November 12, 2022, Rich Norris
Saturday Themeless by Rich Norris
1. Mint: BRAND NEW - Name the 1966 hit with this lyric (answer at bottom of write-up): I just found me a BRAND NEW box of matches, and what he knows you ain't had time to learn!
9. "__ luck!": LOTSA.
14. Long way to go?: LIMO RIDE - Long refers to the length of the car not the length of the trip
15. Porter, for one: BEARER - This porter/BEARER is also called a sherpa and, of course, is the reason most people make it to the top of Everest.
19. Briefly appeared: GLEAMED.
21. Go where one shouldn't: PRY.
22. Hitch: SNAG - Life is what happens after you make other plans
24. Dance company founder Ailey: ALVIN.
30. " ... to so __": Churchill: FEW - Winston's tribute the RAF for their efforts during The Battle Of Britain.
41. Higher ed. hurdle: GRE - Graduate Record Exam
43. Smartwater rival: NAYA - bottled natural spring water, drawn from a spring in the Laurentian Mountains, in southern Quebec, Canada.
49. Stable gear: TACK - The TACK room for the Budweiser Clydesdales connotes a different sense of stable
51. Go __: APE.
52. Small sailing ship: CARAVEL - A model of Columbus's flagship CARAVEL the Santa Maria
54. First name of two Spice Girls: MEL = Here ya go.
55. Bit of needlework: TATTOO 😀
59. Very hot celestial orbs: O-STARS.
60. Generic confrontation: US VS THEM - This finally hit me
61. Lesser number?: B-SIDE - I Want To Hold Your Hand was a breakthrough hit for the lads but the B-SIDE, I Saw Her Standing There, became a bigger seller.
62. Ring-necked bird: PHEASANT - My friend has a business where hunters come to his farm to hunt ring-necks.
1. Squanders: BLOWS - Atlanta blew this lead in Super Bowl LI
2. Getting agitated: RILING.
3. Radio control: AM-DIAL - News radio saved this AM-Radio
4. "Spring the trap!": NOW.
5. Vestige: DREG.
6. Nabisco name since 1967: NILLA - Wafers, of course
7. Unpopular debuts of 1957: EDSELS - EDSELS were the wrong car at the wrong time but this 1958 EDSEL in Lake Havasu, AZ is now for sale for $60,000.
9. Advance: LEND.
10. Clod: OAF.
11. Security element that may be detected by Silly String: TRIP WIRE.
15. "Très __": BIEN.
20. Add: MIX IN.
23. Fragrance assortment, e.g.: GIFT SET.
25. Show mastery of: SHINE AT.
27. "Joy Shtick" writer: BEHAR - Her 23 yr-old book
33. Missouri's Cori Bush, e.g.: Abbr.: REP.
42. Quenya or Sindarin, in fiction: ELVISH - Languages of The Middle Earth constructed by J.R.R. Tolkien. This came slowly.
52. Workout focus: CORE - CORE exercises
53. "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" novelist See: LISA.
56. Bit: TAD.
58. "Mic Drop" band: BTS - The vertical part of my Natick. Is this one of your favorite Korean groups?
1) Guess what? Today is also Rich's birthday. Thanks for the great puzzle, Rich! For those who are not aware, Rich was the previous editor for the L.A. Times crosswords. He's also one of the best themeless constructor in this country.
|Rich and his wife Kim|
2) Happy birthday also to Lemonade's beautiful wife Oo. This is a picture from their 2017 trip to Thailand.