Saturday, July, 18, 2020, Jim Peredo
Saturday Themeless by Jim Peredo
|Jim and Penny Jim in appropriate attire|
Jim counts himself as a Chamorro: both his parents are Guamanian, although he himself has lived in Guam for only a year. Here's Jim's gracious note to me:
1. Early finisher's luxury: TIME TO SPARE - What I had today since I was on Jim's wavelength.
12. Word heard before a hike: HUT - Said before the football is hiked
15. Paper Mate introduced one in 1979: ERASABLE PEN.
16. Hearth debris: ASH - What Vape cigs did not have in yesterday's puzzle
17. Mock question of literacy: CAN'T YOU READ.
18. Poe's __ Morgue: RUE - Some say Murder In The RUE Morgue is the first modern detective story and you daily solvers recognize it as the theme for Jeff Wechsler's Thursday puzzle.
19. Casual greeting: HEY - "How ya doin'?" is another casual greeting and not an inquiry as to anyone's health
20. Struggle with one's sins?: LISP - Pronunciation issues
21. Vicuña cousins: LLAMAS.
23. __ pit: MOSH - Maybe one of these will form during a RAGE which we had last Saturday
24. Trap: PIE HOLE - Either can be the direct object in this rude sentence, "Shut your ____"
25. Set out: DEPART.
28. Relay: PASS ON and 33. Malicious gossip: DIRT - Ya gotta love Norman Rockwell
29. Some memory triggers: ODORS - The odor of a new box of crayons does it for me!
30. Polite gesture from Alice: CURTSYING.
34. Actions to avoid: DONT'S.
35. "The Hound of the Baskervilles" setting: MOOR - $12,000 will get you this 1902 first edition
36. Trial results: DECISIONS.
38. "Nobody Listens to __ Poundstone": comedy podcast: PAULA.
39. Not on the ball: UNWARY - An intriguing book
40. Spacely Space Sprockets employee: JETSON - George and his 60's cart00n family. If you're too young to know
41. Some pending cases: APPEALS - As long as you have money for the lawyer
43. French bean?: TETE and 53. A, to Amélie: UNE. Combien coûte UNE TÊTE de laitue?(How much is a head of lettuce?)
44. Twist in pain: WRITHE - Keri Strug severely injured her ankle on her first vault but came and back for a gold medal winning vault on that ankle. After that vault she was soon WRITHING in pain but produced an all-time Olympic moment!
45. Play the sycophant to, with "over": FAWN - Why do Americans FAWN over British royalty?
46. Ms. Pac-Man ghost: SUE - SUE replaces Clyde in the Pac-Man lineup of Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Clyde
49. Hedonist's goal: FUN.
50. Boss's unsettling request: I'D LIKE A WORD - Uh oh!
54. Barcelona star: LIONEL MESSI - He makes $80M/year between playing and endorsements
55. "__ Miz": LES - Short for this
56. Thurible go-with: INCENSE BOAT - The BOAT (with spoon) holds the incense to be burned in the the thurible that is suspended by the chain. New terms for this guy who married a lovely Catholic woman.
|Thurible/Censer INCENSE BOAT|
1. Modern fixer: TECH - They keep the place running
2. Hymn singer's wrath?: IRAE - A cwd staple
3. Loads: MANY.
4. Part of i.e.: EST - id EST i.e. "that is"
5. Musical family including James and Livingston: TAYLORS - Brothers
6. One behind a violist, maybe: OBOIST.
7. Wintry nuisance: SLUSH.
8. BOLO target: PERP - Be On the Look Out for this alleged PERPetrator
9. Clint's Clyde, in a 1978 movie: APE - Eastwood called this orang a natural actor but he could only do one take because Clyde got bored easily
10. Dreamers' opposites: REALISTS.
11. Circular, in a way: ENDLESS.
12. Like Pentatonix numbers: HARMONIOUS - Any day is improved with Pentatonix
13. Expected: USUAL
14. What we have here: THESE.
22. Sailor's shout: AHOY MATE - Graham Bell's suggestion that the phone be answered "AHOY" lost out to Edison's idea of "Hello"
23. Strict disciplinarian: MARTINET - One human and one not
25. __-Frank: 2010 financial reform bill: DODD - If you must know
26. Singer Brickell: EDIE - Mrs. Paul Simon for 28 years
27. Natural-born quillers?: PORCUPINES.
28. Like Nash poetry: PUNNY - "Hark to the whimper of the sea gull, He weeps because he's not an ea-gull"
30. Brewery in Golden, Colorado: COORS - What movie had a "plot" about the transfer of COORS under a time limit? (*Answer under the grid)
31. Short court plea: NOLO - NOLO Contendre i.e. "I'll take the conviction but admit no guilt"
32. Pop's ma: GRAN.
34. Focused: DIALED IN - Son-in-law using a scope to get my grandson DIALED IN with a pistol
37. One of Kenya's official languages: SWAHILI - Bantu SWAHILI and English are the two working languages of Kenya
38. Honey or sugar: PET NAME better than the 41. Not good at all: AWFUL Bae
40. The Dresden Green and The Graff Pink: JEWELS.
42. Cut back: PRUNE.
43. Occupied: TAKEN
45. Okay: FINE - His catch phrase
46. Just okay: SO SO - Just SO is very different from Just SO-SO
47. Space bear: URSA - The back quarters of these bears form the asterisms the big and little dipper which are NOT constellations themselves
48. Change the narrative?: EDIT.
51. "Funky Cold Medina" rapper Tone __: LOC - I love the beat and the lyrics aren't as offensive as some rap songs but you're on your own to find it.
52. Pathological liar's creation: WEB
*Smokey And The Bandit was about a truck that was "eastbound and down, loaded up (with Coors) and truckin'"
Comments for Jim?